Monday, September 08, 2008

The Trials of Having an Autistic Child!

The one thing I truly dread in the day to day of Alex is when he gets hurt. If its a small insignificant hurt like a bump he can cry and whine for hours. If its a big, important hurt. ( like the time he had cellulitis in his foot.. or stiches in his face) he will just go on like nothing is wrong. Not worrying about or acknowleging the pain. This is the problem I am currently having. On friday he hit his toe HARD at the karate school. Oddly enough not during class but after. His toe was purple the next day when I checked. I told him we would keep and eye on it and it didnt get worse or seem to hurt more than it did the time prior that I checked it. Today though he comes hobbling out of school with his teacher. Seems another student was swinging a chair around and hit Alex in the foot ( not the one with the sore toe) after a while at home he is fine and never said another word. The foot looks fine and he is walking fine on that one. BUT when I go to check the other foot this evening it is more purple than it was and is now swollen and purple down to the joint. I asked him if it hurt more he says no. Then tells me well. It probably looks worse cause when teh kid hit my foot the chair it swung back around and hit the top of my other foot.. OF COURSE.. the one he didnt complain about. So now its swollen and purple and when pressed to be honest he says it does hurt really bad... so I guess we are off to the ER. Will talk to Jason and determine what to do. If we wait til morning no one will get any sleep. And if we go to the DRs office tomorrow it will take 2 days for them to read the results rather than the few hours in the ER.

UPDATE: We are home. Dr took X-rays. No breaks. The tendons are injured but he says it will be ok. Meds and Try hard not to reinjure it this week.

No comments: